Riding safe is a top priority!
Please follow the rules of the road and take precautions to keep yourself and others safe during the ride. We hope this information is helpful as you prepare for VeloSano and will provide a safe and enjoyable event for everyone.
- Wear a helmet at all times when on your bike. A helmet is required to ride in VeloSano.
- Stop at stop signs and stop lights. In Ohio, bicyclists enjoy the same rights as motorists. In accepting these rights, bicyclists also assume the responsibilities for riding in a safe and legal manner. Obey all traffic laws and posted speed limits.
- Ride on the right; pass on the left; and call-out when passing. Always leave room for others to pass on your left and use phrases such as “on your left” or “passing on left” when passing another rider. Never cross the centerline.
- Use hand signals and call out turns, obstacles and debris on the road.
- Ride single file or two abreast when conditions permit. Single file is the safest position. Keep in mind that riding two abreast while going uphill means faster riders must ride three abreast in order to pass slower riders.
- On narrower roads, passing as the third abreast may cause hazardous conditions as vehicles pass riders, pull out of driveways, or are oncoming. Remember, never cross the centerline.
- Always cooperate with VeloSano officials and law enforcement personnel. They will be present at busy intersections – obey their signals.
- Stay on the marked route. Our routes are designed and marked for your safety. Support services are only available to you if you are on the route.
- Give the right-of-way to emergency vehicles. Pull to the right and stop if you hear a siren.
- Watch for railroad tracks and cross them at right angles. Raise yourself off your seat and stand on your pedals to absorb the shock and lower the center of gravity. Look for other riders and let those behind you know of your intentions. Use extreme caution when crossing railroad tracks.
- Stay hydrated throughout the ride and do not rely on thirst. Follow a hydration schedule by drinking water or sports drinks. Do not overhydrate.
Hotline Number: 1.844.VELOSANO (844.835.6726)
COURTESY OF CLEVELAND CLINIC
Rider Medical will be available at every Rest Stop along the routes, including at Mall B in downtown Cleveland at the start and end of each ride. Please remember that medical volunteers will only provide basic first aid services, will not dispense any prescription medications or treatments and will require a mask if medical assistance is necessary. EMT and hospital services will be on call throughout the day at appropriate locations along the routes.
VeloSano is a rules of the road ride. Please pay careful attention to the VeloSano signage along the routes. In addition to directing Riders, the signage will also alert Riders to specific areas that may require extra caution (e.g., oncoming traffic, potentially hazardous road conditions).
SUPPORT-AND-GEAR (SAG) VEHICLES
PRESENTED BY: LEXUS
SAG vehicles will be patrolling all routes to assist Riders as needed. Each SAG vehicle will include water and basic repair tools. Lexus is the Official Vehicle of VeloSano and proud to provide the SAG Support during event weekend.
Should you need assistance for any reason during the ride and you cannot locate a VeloSano Volunteer, please call 1.844.VELOSANO (1.844.835.6726). This number will also be located on the back of your Rider bib and Rider ID bracelet.
FAMILY & FRIENDS AT FINISH LINE CELEBRATIONS
Family & friends are welcome to help us send off the Riders on Saturday morning and welcome them back throughout the day. Get your cowbells ready! We’ll have plenty available!
Guests will require a food & beverage pass to obtain access to the “Fueling Station” and alcoholic beverages on Saturday, September 11. Please note that food & beverage passes will be available for purchase at the Mall B venue.
Barring severe weather emergencies, VeloSano will proceed despite poor weather conditions. Riders should be prepared for high winds, temperatures ranging from 50 – 100 degrees Fahrenheit, heavy rainfall, and/or a combination of these conditions.
Given that weather can change during the course of the event, weather-related announcements may need to be issued after the start of the ride. Please continue to check social media, the Weather Alert signs at each VeloSano Venue & Rest Stop, and your mobile device if you opted-in to our text message alert system.
VeloSano reserves the right to postpone the ride start, reduce ride length, restrict ride options, or cancel the ride to ensure the safety of its participants. We will do everything within our capabilities to communicate cancellation, postponement, or alteration of the event to Riders as quickly as possible. In all cases, Riders are responsible for their own safety and should use their best judgment when deciding whether or not to continue if severe weather conditions exist.
VeloSano Rest Stops will be available along all routes, approximately every 12 – 15 miles. Each Rest Stop will feature light refreshments and water bottle refill stations, as well as restrooms, medical and mechanical support. Rest Stops will be managed by VeloSano Volunteers.
LATE REGISTRATION / CUSTOMER SERVICE
On Saturday, Sept.11 there will be late on-site Rider Registration and Customer Service Support available from 6:00 – 9:15am (see location on Venue Map).
Mall B: 300 Lakeside Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44114
Click here to view the Venue Map